Events for August 2008
- Friday Night Sampling: Ballast Point August 01, 2008 - The Beer Yard
- Ballast Point is located in San Diego. San Diego breweries tend to make very good and very popular beers. We carry Ballast Point beers. See where we're going with this? If not, stop by and Mark will clarify. 5-7pm
- Belgium Comes to Cooperstown August 01, 2008 - August 03, 2008 - Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY
- THIS EVENT IS COMPLETELY SOLD OUT. The website link will let you know what you're missing.
- Beer & Cheese: A Victorious Summer August 05, 2008 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut Street , Phila
- Bill Covaleski of Victory Brewing Company and Michael McCaulley, Tria Wine Director, are letting the secret out in this class whidch will match celebrated favorites and seasonal delights from Victory with delectable artisan cheeses. 6:30-8pm $50.
- Meet The Brewer Series: The Great Tastes of Philadelphia Brewing August 06, 2008 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- Sample four tastings & a pint of your favorite. Enjoy fantastic hors d' oeuvres prepared by Chef Karl. You must be 21 years of age to attend. $35. 7-9pm. Call: 215.536.7242
- Allagash Tasting @ SPTR August 07, 2008 - South Philadelphia Tap Room, 1509 Mifflin St.
- Brewer/founder Rob Tod will be on hand and 13 Allagash beers will be available. A special menu will be available for those who want to pair the beers with a meal. The beers: White, Double, Triple, Curieux, Mussette, Hugh Malone, Four, Victor, Victoria, Fluxus 08 (Belgian Double spiced with Ginger), Black, "Something Special". 7-10pm
- Dock Street Espresso Stout @ Standard Tap August 13, 2008 - Standard Tap. 901 N 2nd St., Phila
- Special release as the Tap...er...taps a keg of Dock Street Satellite Espresso Stout. 7-9pm
- Rye IPA Firkin @ Good Dog August 14, 2008 - Good Dog Bar & Restaurant, 224 S. 15 St.
- Good Dog is tapping a firkin of Dock Street Rye IPA at 7:30. After that, it's all in the handles of the angels. For more info, 215-985-1918
- Ballpark Beerfest August 16, 2008 - McFaddens @ Citizens Bank Park
- Twenty breweries announced. There's some sort of keg-ball contest, apparently between people representing the breweries. Presumably beers from the breweries will be on tap. We've heard that whichever brewery wins will have a tap at McFadden's for the rest of the baseball season. Phillies-Padres on TV. 3-7pm $30 in advance, $40 at the door. Advance tickets here.
- State College Microbrewers Expo August 16, 2008 - Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel, State College
- Big changes this year. The afternoon session will be from 12-4 and will be limited to 1200 people and is $45. The evening session will be a Connoisseur Session from 7-10 limited to 400 people and will have a gourmet buffet and special beers from the brewers for $75. Details on the website.
- Union Barrel Works Beer Dinner August 19, 2008 - Union Barrel Works, 6 N. Reamstown Road, Reamstown
- Pennsylvania Dutch is the theme this month: Corn Pie paired with Pilsner; Chicken Corn Rivel Soup paired with Hefe Weisse; Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing paired with Pale Ale; Chicken Pot Pie paired with Lager; Ham Loaf with Glazed carrots paired with Uncle Fester; Rice Pudding paired with Dubbel U; Shoo Fly Pie paired with Round Boy Stout. $40.00 plus tax and gratuity. Reservation required: 717.335.7837. Seating at 6:30pm
- Belgian Beer Dinner @ Valanni's August 19, 2008 - Valanni's, 1229 Spruce St.
- Former chef and Belgian beer connoisseur Bruce Wright returns to one of Philadelphia's most acclaimed restaurants to to host a five-course Belgian Family Brewers Beer Dinner. Instead of going straight Belgian, the evening's menu will have a zip of Med flair. The meal features ceviche coupled with Kasteel Triple, salad Lyonnais (poached egg over frisée, Belgian endive, lardons and crispy potatoes with a red-wine vinaigrette) paired with Brigand Golden Ale, tamarind-ginger glazed pork ribs matched to Kasteel Rouge, Bing cherry sorbet served with St. Louis Framboise and grilled white Mission figs and Rogue River blue cheese with port reduction accompanied by Gouden Carolus Grand Cru. 6–10 PM $55 Reservations and more information: 215.790.9494.
- Kasteel Beers and Food Paring @ Teresa's August 20, 2008 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Bruce Wright of Wetten Importers, after a stop at The Beer Yard (see other calendar listing), will be at Teresa's Next Door on N. Wayne Avenue from 7-9pm. Five beers great Belgian beers will be flowing from the taps-- Kasteel Brune, Kasteel Rouge and Kasteel Tripel, plus Brigand Strong Golden Ale & St. Louis Frambroise--and chef Andy Dickerson will offer a suggested pairing menu for your dining pleasure (no set meal, pay as you you). pairings menu pay as you go. It's definitely Kasteel Day in Wayne!
- Born to Be Wild @ Tria Washington Square August 20, 2008 - Tria Washington Square, 12th & Spruce
- Lovers of tart 'n funky beers have an unique opportunity to taste sublime three-year-old Lambic used to blend the famous Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait. Compare two unblended Lambics straight from Casks 17B and 52, then blend them together as would a real Lambic producer! Legendary Belgian beer expert and importer Don Feinberg procured these rare kegs and will be mingling while sharing his expertise. $12½ for a 5 oz. tasting of both beers. No reservations-just show up. 5-7pm
- Kasteel Sampling @ The Beer Yard August 20, 2008 - The B eer Yard
- Bruce Wright of Wetten Importers will be at the Beer Yard from 4-6pm today to share some of the fine beers from Belgium's Brouwerij Brasserie Van Honsebrouck with us:
Kasteel Brune, Kasteel Rouge and Kasteel Tripel, plus Brigand Strong Golden Ale and. St. Louis Frambroise.
(afterward, he'll move up to North Wayne Avenue and Teresa's Next Door, see other calendar listing).
- Philadelphia Brewing Co. Beer & Cheese Party August 22, 2008 - Di Bruno Bros., 1730 Chestnut St., Philadelphia
- Dean Brown and John Rehm will be on hand to discuss PBC's hand-crafted ales. The four standard brands will be feature and, as an ultimate bonus, attendees will be among the first to sample a new special seasonal brew (a Wheat Wine) and a small cask of Dean's Bourbon Barrel Old Ale. The Menu:
Kenzinger with Cana de Cabra (Spain, Goat's Milk); Walt Wit with Ogleshield (Somerset England, Cow's Milk);
Rowhouse Red with Sparkenhoe Red Leicester (England, Cow's Milk) and with Colston Bassett Stilton (Nottinghamshire, England, Cow's Milk); Newbold IPA with Keen's Cheddar (Somerset, England, Cow's Milk) and with
Rogue River Smokey Blue (USA, Cow's Milk).
- Saison Festival August 23, 2008 - Union Jack's Inn on Manatawny, 546 Manatawny Rd., Oley, PA
- At least 12 Saisons on draught, including Weyerbacher Muse, Saison Dupont, Dupont Foret Organic, Sly Fox Saison Vos, Sly Fox Grisette, Southern Tier Cherry Saison, Lagunitas Sonoma Farmhouse Saison, Southampton Saison, Glazen Toren Saison D'Erpe Mere, North Coast le Merle, Ommegang Hennepin & Victory V-Saison. More to come. Pay as you go, starts at Noon.
- Lagunitus Promo August 23, 2008 - Ortino's Northside, Rt. 29, Zieglersville
- Lagunitas beers featured with be the IPA, Pils and more and the event will benefit the Perkiomen Watershed. Captain Janks from the Howard Stern show will be present and giving away a free Sirius Satelite Radio along with live entertainment from the band Liquid Fringe. The Saturday Smoking Buffet will be going on as well with all of the classic smoked treats and sides.
- Mystery Beer Weekend @Memphis Taproom August 29, 2008 - August 31, 2008 - Memphis Taproom, 2331 E. Cumberland Street
- Starting at 5pm on August 29, Memphis Taproom will tap 3 beers each of 11 different styles. It's up to you to taste them all and tell us what you're drinking. They will announce the style categories in advance. Mixed flights of 3 beers for $10 will be offered all weekend. Mystery ballots will be available at the bar and online starting August 25, 2008. Ballots must be turned in by 4pm on Sunday August 31. The winning ballot with the most correct beers filled in will win a beer-filled prize package (not to mention bar-wide fame and a their name engraved on a trophy the Memphis folks picked up at a recent yard sale for a buck).