Events for March 2007
- Tria Fermentation School: Beer Is Divine March 01, 2007 - Tria Fermentation School, 1601 Walnut Street, Suite 620. Phila
- Beer Advocate Chris O’Brien will present samples of seven heavenly brews as part of a discussion on the eternal commingling of religion and beer. 6:30-8:00 pm $40
- PA NIght @ Barcade (NY) March 01, 2007 - Barcade, 388 Union Avenue, Brooklyn
- Wow! 15 Pennsylvania beers on tap in the Big Apple including some rare treats hardly ever seen outside the confines of the places where they're made :
Bethlehem Wrecking Ball Rye, General Lafayette Le Marquis de Lafayette, Lancaster Hop Hog, Legacy Euphoria, Nodding Head Wee Heavier, Penn Kaiser Pils, Sly Fox British Pale Ale, Sly Fox Ichor , Stegmaier Brewhouse Bock , Stoudt’s Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout,
Troegs Troegenator, Victory Prima Pils, Victory Storm King Stout (on cask), Weyerbacher Old Heathen Imperial Stout &
Yards General Washington Tavern Porter.
Plus lots of PA snacks to nibble while you imbibe:
Martin’s Kettle Cooked Chips, Middleswarth BBQ Ket-l Chips. Moyer’s Lard-cooked Potato Chips, Snyder’s Butter Snaps, Honey Wheat Sticks an Hot Buffalo Pretzels,
Tom Sturgis Little Cheesers Pretzels, Uncle Henry’s Extra Dark Hard Pretzels and Utz Salt & Malt Vinegar Potato Chips and Crab Potato Chips.
Drinking and snacking start at 6pm and--get this--it's Happy Hour until 8.
- Craft Beer Night @ TJ's Everyday: Dogfish Head March 02, 2007 - 35 Paoli Plaza (behind Post Offce), Paoli
- The Paoli bar and restaurant which is getting a reputation for its great craft beer list invites a brewery in on the first Friday of every month to present its beer of choice and meet with customers. The Dogfish Head folks are bringing along Randall the Enamel Animal for protection. Great fun. 6-8pm.
- Incubus Friday March 02, 2007 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- On the first Friday of every month, and only on the first Friday of every month, brewer Brian O'Reilly's mind-blowing Incubus Tripel is poured in Phoenixville. Be advised: the beer usually kicks early. Tap time: Noon.
- Friday Night Beer Tasting: Great Divide March 02, 2007 - The Beer Yard
- Another month, another Friday and--yay!--more beer. We'll be pouring Great Divide, accompanied by Mark on the mandolin. 5-7pm.
- Troegs @ Di Bruno's March 02, 2007 - Di Bruno Bros., 1740 Chestnut St., Phila.
- The good guys from Harrisburg come on down to team up with Di Bruno Brothers for a beer and cheese event, pairing a great cheese and samplings of antipasto with the appropriate beer. $45 per person. 6-8pm. Call 215-665-9220, Ext. 35 for reservations or stop in Di Bruno's.
- Philly Craft Beer Festival March 03, 2007 - Phialdelphia Cruise Terminal, 5100 S. Broad St.
- A big new beer event, at the Naval Yard, with proceeds benefiting St. Christopher's Hospital for Children. Two sessions, tickets limited to 1500 for each.
Over 45 small craft breweries will take over the Navy Yard in Philadelphia for the inaugural Philly Craft Beer Fest. With over 120 different beers available for tasting, this event has been created to celebrate and promote the great quality and diversity of quality craft beers being brewed today. The beers will come from breweries such as Rogue and Deschutes (Oregon), Boulder (Colorado), Unibroue and Sleeman (Canada), Ommegang and Southampton (NY), Lagunitas and Stone (California) as well as special local offerings from Victory, Flying Fish, Dogfish Head, Yards and Nodding Head.
Two sessions, Noon -4pm; 6-10pm. Attendance limited to 1500 per session. Tickets: $35.00 online, $40.00 at the door. $10.00 for designated drivers. Prices include a 40z tasting glass.
- Main Line Brew Fest 2007 March 03, 2007 - Desmond Hotel, Great Valley
- Open Beer Tasting, Tutored Beer Tasting, Food, Seminar on The Beers of Munich and a Cooking Demonstration. Meet Don Tollefson of Fox TV. A portion of the proceeds will benefit One Child Saved
- Ragin' Cajun Dinner @ Victory March 06, 2007 - Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown
- Welcome Beer: Kolsch; Delta Oyster and Artichoke Bisque served with Throwback Lager; Southern Pride Catfish Salad
served with matchstick potatoes and a creole vinaigrette, accompanied by Festbier; Crawfish Etouffee served with Ten Years Alt; Grilled Alligator Tail topped with shrimp and lump crab meat, with a jalapeno cream sauce over cajun rice
served with Victory Dry Stout; Hot Beignets accompanied by Saison. 6pm. $50 per person. Order tickets here.
- Tria Fermentation School: Wine, Beer & Cheese March 06, 2007 - Tria Fermentation School, 1601 Walnut Street, Suite 620. Phila
- Philadelphia Slow Food chapter leader Hansjakob Werlen and Fermentation School Director Michael McCaulley will cultivate what it means to savor our beer, cheese and wine in the Slow, sustainable and satisfying way. 6:30-8:00 pm $50
- Sierra Nevada Stricklander Debut March 08, 2007 - Drafting Room Tap Room & Grille, Exton
- Join Sierra Nevada's East Coast Regional Manager Tommy Gannon for the debut of Sierra Nevada’s first Belgian-style ale, Stricklander Golden Ale. Only kegs made it to Eastern Pennsylvania and the Drafting Room snapped one. 2006 Bigfoot Ale also will be featured. The taps open at 6pm.
- Michael Jackson Extreme Beer Dinner March 09, 2007 - University of Pennsylvania Museum, 3260 South Street
- There's no Book & The Cook this year but that 's not stopping the Bard of Beer. This annual dinner was always a B&C highlight and the setting ain't half bad either. $85. TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE
- Friday Night Beer Tasting: Erie Brewing March 09, 2007 - The Beer Yard
- The winds blow cold off of Lake Erie in winter. Fortunately, we're shield by Starbucks and several 100 miles for having to deal with all that. Come and drink beer with us and we'll talk about it. Mark will be the one in snowsho4es. 5-7pm
- Belgian Beer Dinner @ The Farmhouse March 09, 2007 - The Farmhouse, 1449 Chestnut StreetEmmaus
- Part of an ongoing series offered at The Farmhouse by award-winning chef Michael Adams, beginning with Bell's Hell Hath No Fury & Dogfish Head Red and White as the introductory beers. The subsequent five-course Belgian feast will be hosted by John Hansell of Malt Advocate Magazine:
Roasted Celery Root and Parsnip Soup paired with Lost Abbey Avante Garde; Salad of Local Greens with Crispy Goat Cheese,
Caperberries & Ver Jus Vinaigrette paired with Lost Abbey Red Barn ; Pan-Roasted Rockfish with Braised Leeks and Mussel Herb Cream
paired with Brooklyn Local 1; Affligem-Braised Pork Shanks with Grain Mustard & Pickled Red Onion paired with Unibroue 16 &
Avery/Russian River Collaboration; Spiced Rodenbach-Poached Pears and Almond Financier Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream paired with
Southampton Abbot 12.
$80 per person inclusive. Ticket information: 610.967.6225 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michael Jackson Tutored Beer Tasting March 10, 2007 - University of Pennsylvania Museum, 3260 South Street
- Michael Jackson says this three-session, day-long event is one of the toughest things he does each year. But the rest of us love it, especially the amazing two-hour beer festival in the rotunda after each tutored hour. Such fun. Extreme Beers are the focus this year. 215.898.4890 for tickets. TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE FOR FIRST AND LAST SESSIONS (@ 1pm and 6pm), 3:30 SOLD OUT.
- Split Thy (Brooklyn) Skull March 10, 2007 - March 11, 2007 - Mugs Ale House. 125 Bedford Ave., Brooklyn
- Mugs Ale House will be hosting the 8th Annual Split Thy Skull Beer Festival this weekend. This event will feature 34 beers that are 8% or above. Details and more information here.
- Michael Jackson Beer Dinner March 11, 2007 - Monk's Cafe, 264 S. 16 Street, Philadelphia
- Perhaps the biggest annual beer dinner in Philadelphia each year, concurrent with but not part of The Book & The Cook. This 11th dinner in the series will concentrate on Farmhouse Ales, matched with an authentic Belgian menu. 6pm. $125 per person. Tickets went on sale February 1.
- A Victorious Beer Dinner March 12, 2007 - Four Seasons Hotel, 130 N 18th St, Philadelphia
- A Victory Brewing beer event. 6:30pm. No details available.
- Brooklyn Brewery Dinner w/ Garrett Oliver March 13, 2007 - Monk's Cafe, 264 S. 16 Street, Philadelphia
- The man who literally wrote the book on pairing beer & food (The Brewmaster's Table) will be on hand. An eloquent speaker, fine dining and great beer from Brooklyn. More details when we get 'em. $65
- Third Friday Firkin Fest: Rt. 113 IPA March 16, 2007 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- On the Third Friday of every month, a fresh firkin is tapped atop the bar at Sly Fox's Phoenixville location. This month's cask-conditioned beer will Rt. 113 IPA. Things get started at Noon. Pay as you go.
- Great Lakes Night...and More! March 21, 2007 - Capone's, 224 W. Germantown Pike, Norristown
- Cleveland's Great Lakes Brewing will be the star at this beer night, with Blackout Stout, Burning River Pale Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Elliot Ness Amber and Holy Moses White Ale on tap. Also featured will be Arcadia Hop Mouth Imperial IPA and Cereal Killer Barleywine, an as yet undetermined Eisbock and who knows what else. Yikes! Noon until closing, pay as you go. For more information: 610.279.4748
- Malheur Meet & Greet @ Monk's March 21, 2007 - Monk's Cafe, 264 S. 16 Street, Philadelphia
- Manu De Landtsheer, owner of Brouwerij De Landsheer, thebrewery which makes Malheur Brut will be on hand in Monk's back room. Cash bar. 4-7pm
- Tria Fermentation School: Rogue Times Two March 21, 2007 - Tria Fermentation School, 1601 Walnut Street, Suite 620. Phila
- It Rogue Ale night again as local Rogue rep Sebbie Buhler will lead this tasting of the brewery's iconoclastic brews matched to the equally innovative and mouth-watering cheeses of the unrelated Rogue Creamery. 6:30-8:00 pm $40
- Friday Night Beer Tasting: Pilsner Urquel March 23, 2007 - The Beer Yard
- We'll have Pilsner Urquel and also Peroni for your tasting pleasure, but it just may be the ladies doing the pouring who will get your attention. Mark will be the one staring in awe. 5-7 pm.
- Bryson Sessions Beer Dinner March 25, 2007 - Ortino's Northside, 1355 Gravel Pike, Zieglersville
- Lew Bryson will host a session beer tasting/dinner featuring session beers, session food (?) and "a not-so session beer at the end just to nail things down," plus his commentary on it all. Surely more fun than Desperate Housewifes," though maybe not "Rome." Starts at 5 pm. $40. For reservations: 610.287.7272
- Michael Jackson Beer Dinner March 28, 2007 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Road, Spinnerstown
- Michael Jackson returns! This year's theme is a five course dinner featuring world class beers from the British Isles. Enjoy beers from England, Scotland and Ireland while listening to the wisdom of the beer hunter himself! The beers: Youngs Special London Ale, Georges Gale prize Old Ale, Fraoch Heather Ale, Harvieston Old Engine Oil, Fullers ESB, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, A.Le Coq Imperial Stout. $80 per person plus tax and gratuity. 215.536.7242 for reservations.
- The Dude in Exile! Special Beer Event March 30, 2007 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- Scott Morrison, ousted from the kettle at McKenzie Brew House, returns with a special brew which will debut tonight. Morrison and Sly Fox head brewer Brian O'Reilly made this beer on March 9 and will be on hand for the first pouring. It all starts at 6pm, pay as you go.
- Friday Night Beer Tasting: Victory March 30, 2007 - The Beer Yard
- Wait a minute! While we were watching March Madness, spring snuck up on us! No problem, 'cause Victory will be in the house with Whirlwind Wit and St. Victorious and all will be right with the world again. Be nice to Mark, he misses the snow. 5-7pm
- Weyerbacher Open House March 31, 2007 - Weyerbacher Brewery, Easton, PA
- Weyerbacher's annual Open House extravaganza runs from Noon - 3pm (last samples poured at 2:40). Featured attractions with be the just-released Blasphemy (Quad aged in bourbon barrels) and Raspberry Beret, an experimental wild ale.