Events for January 2009
- New Year's Eve/New Year's Day @ Standard Tap December 31, 2008 - January 01, 2009 - Standard Tap, 901 N 2nd St., Philadelphia
- A Yards firkin will be tapped at 6pm New Year's Eve and a Mad Elf/Golden Monkey dance party will begin at 10pm, feeaturing Mad Elf and Golden Monkey at happy hour prices all night and DJ Frosty spinning in the back rooms upstairs.
Regular hours on New Years Day, 4pm-2am. 20% of all sales that day will be going to benefit Katrina Mansfield, one of the neighbors around the Tap who was attacked in her house a couple weeks ago. She is in the hospital still, but getting better. Party on and support a good cause--is there a better way to start the New Year?
- Meet The Brewer Series: Southern Tier January 07, 2009 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- Six beers: Cherry Saison Imperial Oak Aged Cherry Ale, Pumpking Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Phin & Matt’s Old Man Winter,
Choklat Stout Imperial Chocolate Stout and Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout. Four courses of food pairings prepared by Chef Karl. 7-9pm $48 per person Reservations: 215.536.7242
- Weird & Wonderful: Tom Baker @ Tria January 08, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Tom Baker knows his grains and yeast. Already an accomplished brewer at his dearly departed Heavyweight Brewing in New Jersey, he's just opened a little piece of heaven in Mount Airy called Earth Bread + Brewery. Tom focuses on brewing high-quality, uncommon beer, baking handmade flatbreads and being good to the earth. Baker carved his reputation with extreme, complex beers and now offers a new round of wild styles such as ancient Gruit ale and smoked wheat beer. Come sip tantalizing beers straight from the new brewery as well as some of the strange brews that inspired Tom's creativity. 6:30 - 8:00 pm
$45. SOLD OUT! 215.972.7076
- Sly Fox Varietal Pale Ale Release: Boadicea [UPDATED] January 09, 2009 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- Sly Fox introduces the successor program to its five-year smash hit, The IPA Project, with the British hop Boadicea, one with a light floral character and excellent bittering qualities. This kicks off a year-long series of monthly single-hop Pale Ales, culminating on December 11, 2009 with Hops Project Day. Noon-11pm. For more information: 610.935.4540
UPDATE: In Phoenixville this year, each of the varietals will be featured initially on the hand pump. A firkin or cask keg of the varietal will be tapped and served until it kicks. Once that happens, the beer will immediately start serving via traditional draft. The draft keg will be all set up and ready to go so that if someone shows up wanting a growler fill of the varietal before the cask is kicked, they can be accommodated.
- Meet the Brewer: River Horse @ The Institute January 10, 2009 - 549 N 12th St., Philadelphia
- A River Horse 'meet the brewer' event will feature Hop-alot-umus, a Double IPA, hop-alot-umus on tap as well as free cheese pairings to try. One of the brewers will be on hand. 4-6pm
- Winterfest Beer Tasting @ World Cafe Live January 10, 2009 - World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, PA
- World Cafe Live presents Winterfest '09: Stouts, Porters, Winter Seasonals, and Special Holiday Brews. sample stouts, porters, and winter seasonals from local breweries including Flying Fish, Penn Brewing, Stoudt’s, Troegs, Victory, Yard’s, and River horse... as well as national breweries including Anderson Valley, Breckenridge, Goose Island, Leinenkugel, Long Trail, Otter Creek, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, and Brooklyn. 1-4:30pm SOLD OUT
- Dinner in a Flask (Dogfish Head Dinner Series) January 11, 2009 - Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats, Rehoboth Beach, DE
- Dinner in a flask is a Dogfish Head Blue Hen Vodka experience.
First Course: Basil-infused vodka Bruschetta (basil infused vodka marinated bruschetta with green olives, fresh basil and finished with vermouth served over roasted garlic crostinis)
Second Course: Roasted Beet and Smoked Trout Salad with Vodka Vinaigrette and oven dried vodka tomatoes (roasted beets, romaine, smoked trout, shaved parmesan, oven dried vodka marinated tomatoes, and finished with a vodka vinaigrette)
Third Course: Vodka Pizza Shot (a warm tomato & vodka drink, with parmesan, fresh basil, noccolini, served with a garlic bread stick)
Fourth Course: Bloody Mary Flank Steak w/ Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce & rice (Thinly sliced grilled flank steak marinated in our famous bloody mary mix. topped with onion slices and garnished with celery leaves and lemon wedges. Served with a side of bloody mary dipping sauce)
Fifth Course: Blue Hen Vodka apple, goat cheese, and honey tartlets (macerated apples in our own apple vodka, goat cheese and honey served over puff pastry)
Beer pairings still to be determined. 6:30pm $57.00
- Yards Slumber Party @ The Kite and Key January 14, 2009 - The Kite & Key, 1836 Callowhill St., Philadelphia
- This event, hosted by the gang from Yards, will feature a firkin of George Washington Porter primed with fresh cocoa.
Host: Yards Brewing Company. Pay as you go. 7pm - 2am. Details: 215.568.1818
- Weyerbacher Fireside Ale Premier @ Devil's Den January 14, 2009 - Devil's Den, 1147 S, 11 St., Philadelphia
- The Devil's Den will be premiering Weyerbacher's new beer 7 - 9 PM. The new Fireside Ale (a smoke beer), Merry Monks, Thirteen & Double Simcoe will be on draft. The Den will be running Weyerbacher draft specials, Flight specials & Food specials.
- Capone Draft Beer Event January 15, 2009 - Capone's, 224 W Germantown Pike, Norristown
- California draft beer from 15 different breweries: Southern Tier Gemini IPA, Southern Tier Choklat, Southampton Double White, Ramstein Winter Wheat, New Holland Mad Hatter IPA, Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence, Pennichuck Pozharnik Russian Imperial Stout, Boaks Russian Imp.Stout, Great Divide Titan IPA,Founders Fresh Hop Harvest, Goliath Tripel Christmas, Affligem Noel, Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas & Brooklyn Saviore Faire. Starts 11:30am. Pay as you go. For more information: 610.279.4748
- Philadelphia Beer Co. @ Earth Bread + Brewery January 15, 2009 - Earth Bread + Brewery, 7136 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia
- That Tom Baker certainly has a way with words: "This is your last warning (first too); stay away from Earth on Thursday, January 15, in the year 2009. Philadelphia Brewing Company and their supreme leaders intend to absorb and assimilate all the guest taps and overrun both bars during the interval from 6:30 until they are defeated. You will be made to drink from alien vessels and brainwashed to believe that PBC are a friendly and peaceful race. But be warned, for although their fermented juices are delicious, they are also infectious and you will lose all free will to drink anything else. You are warned."
There will be seven PBC beers on tap including PhilaBuster, Phillyz Navidad and joe Porter--plus Chris Morris and Nancy Barton will be guest bartenders.
- Dock Street' Frankford Ave Intersection Night @ Grey Lodge January 16, 2009 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
- Call Google Maps! Dock Street will be intersecting with Frankford Avenue when Dock Street head brewer Ben Potts shows up at The Grey Lodge along with loads of tasty Dock Street beer on tap. 6-9pm
- Friday Night Sampling: Troegs Nugget Nectar January 16, 2009 - The B eer Yard
- Our friends at Teresa's Next Door will tap the first Nugget Nectar firkin locally a couple of from now, and we figured it wouldn't hurt to whet your appetites with some bottles tonight. It was Mark's idea, right after he finished teaching the staff their weekly quantum physics lessons. Stop in (5-7pm), or he may just send you back in time.
- Allentown Brew Works Inauguration Day Buffet Lunch & Evening Party January 20, 2009 - Allentown Brew Works, 812 W. Hamilton St., Allentown
- Inauguration Buffet Luncheon, 11am - 1pm. TV coverage of Inaugural events, $19 inclusive.
Inauguration Party, 7-10:00 pm. TV coverage of Inaugural events. Open Beer, Wine & Soda Bar, special tap of Fegley's ESB (the beer candidate Barack Obama drank when he visited the Bethlehem Brew Works). Casual attire or Black Tie for the adventurous. $40 inclusive.
For more information or reservations) by January 18), call 610.433.7777 ext. 13 or 25, or email here.
- Tom's Homecoming Dinner @ Jose Pistolas January 20, 2009 - Jose Pistolas, 236 S. 15 St., Phila.
- Tom Peters of Monk's Cafe was bar manager at Copa Too! in the late '80s and early '90s, serving some of the first Belgian beers in the U.S. Now the crew at Jose Pistola has invited him back to the scene of the crime for a collaborative event. Details as soon as they are available.
- Inauguration Day Hawaiian Luau @ McGillin's January 20, 2009 - McGillin's Olde Ale House, 1310 Drury Street
- McGillin’s Olde Ale House will throw a Hawaiian Luau during the presidential inauguration in honor of Barack Obama, a native of Hawaii. To satisfy Americans’ hunger for change, McGillin’s will be serving Hawaiian cuisine and drinks and have red, white and blue leis for all. The inauguration will play on 8 high definition TVs. Party from 11am on Tuesday, January 20 until closing at 2am Wednesday.
- Victory Beer Dinner @ High Street Café January 21, 2009 - High Street Cafe, 3ss S. High St., West Chester
- Beat the winter doldrums with Brewmaster Bill Covaleski and the Cajun cuisine of High Street Café in downtown West Chester. 6:30pm. Reservations: 610.696.7435
- Belgium's Winter Wonderland January 22, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Thirsty for the latest imports? Brian Ewing, founder of the innovative 12 Percent Imports, is on a mission to seek out superior Belgian brews that quench our beer geek desires. For this class, Brian will break out brand new winter beers from just-discovered breweries in Belgium (and a few from the Netherlands). Be among the first to taste these complex dark and spiced ales as they make their US debut. For all you "been there, drunk that" beer geeks out there, trust us—you have likely not tried any of these special brews! 6:30-8pm $45. CURRENTLY SOLD OUT, WAITING LIST AVAILABLE.
- Strong & Soul-Warming: Lew Bryson @ Tria January 23, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- The holidays are over, and hibernation during the dark winter nights is upon us. Doppelbocks, Eisbocks, Barleywines, Imperial Stouts and big Belgians are in order. Nationally acclaimed Philly-based beer writer Lew Bryson will share his favorite beers for a bear winter. Taste iconic strong Belgian, German and British brews plus new interpretations of these soul-warming styles by contemporary American craft breweries sure to keep you roasty and toasty even on the coldest winter night. 6:30 - 8:00 pm $50. SOLD OUT! 215.972.7076
- Hook and Ladder Chutes & Ladders Night @ Grey Lodge January 23, 2009 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
- If you don’t think about it too much, it makes perfect sense (like many things at The Grey Lodge): loads of tasty Hook and Ladder beers plus prizes for Shoots and Ladders winners. It’s like kindergarten but with beer. 6-9pm
- Robbie Burns Birthday Bash January 23, 2009 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- The Seventh Annual Robbie Burns Birthday Bash means bagpipers and kilts, customers reciting the great Scottish poet's verses, and the traditional piping in of the Haggis, as well as the release of Sly Fox Gang Aft Agley Scotch Ale 2009.
In addition to the debut of Gang Aft Agley and Burn’s Scottish Ale on draft, the special beer lineup for 2009 will include two-year old Gang Aft Agley on draft and cask versions of Gang Aft Agley and Burn’s Scottish Ale poured via the handpumps.
Starts at 6pm. Pay as you go. More information: 610.935.4540
- Belgium Comes to West Chester (Iron Hill) January 24, 2009 - Iron Hill Brewery # Restaurant, 3 W. Gay St., West Chester
- The Belgian beer line up will include styles from each Iron Hill location as well as guest brews from: Dock Street Brewery, Earth + Bread Brewery, Flying Fish Brewing Company, General Lafayette Inn & Brewery, Harpoon Brewery, Manayunk Brewery, Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant, Rock Bottom Brewery and Restaurant, Sly Fox Brewery, Stewart’s Brewing Company, Troeg’s Brewing Company, Victory Brewing Company, and more. The event will be pay as you go until the beer runs out. 1pm-6pm
- Beef & Beer @ South Philly Taproom January 25, 2009 - South Philadelphia Tap Room, 1509 Mifflin St.
- South Philly Taproom will be hosting a Beef & Beer event on January 25 from 3 until 7. The event will feature firkins from Sly Fox (Burns' Scottish Ale), Nodding Head (BPA), Philadelphia Brewing (Joe, coffee porter) and Yards (ESA. a special dry hopped version). Chef Scott Schroeder is brewing up a slow roasted sirloin and delicious short rib tacos with all the fixins. $40. More information: 215.271.7787
- River Horse @ Standard Tap January 26, 2009 - Standard Tap, 901 N 2nd St., Philadelphia
- Christian Ryan, head brewer of River Horse will be on hand as 5 beers are paired with 5 courses. tickets available at standard tap, $45, cash only. doors open at 6:30 pm, event starts at 7:00 pm. Limited seating available. Anyone with questions can email email@example.com.
- Nugget Nectar Tasting @ Drafting Room Exton January 29, 2009 - The Drafting Room, Colonial Shopping Center, Exton
- Join Sales Representative Nick Johnson when TDR taps one of region's favorite beers. Also on tap: The Mad Elf,
TDR 14th Anniversary (the last one!), Dreamweaver Wheat and a Firkin of Nugget Nectar. 5:30pm Pay as you go.
- Lancaster Promo @ Capone's January 29, 2009 - Capone's, 224 W Germantown Pike, Norristown
- Come hang out with the Guy's from Lancaster starting at 11:30am. Brews on Draft: Hop Hog , Limited Release Triple, Strawberry Wheat Beer Milk Stout on Nitrogen, debut of Shoofly Porter. Pay as you go.
- Dawson Street Pub Back Room Gallery Opening January 31, 2009 - Dawson St. Pub, 100 Dawson St., Manaynk
- Local artist (and neighbor) Trish Siembora will open a new artists’ space, The Back Room Gallery at the Dawson Street Pub tis afternoon. Siembora is the first to showcase her art work at the new venue which will now feature a rotating collection of work by local artists. A craft show will be held in conjunction with the opening, featuring jewelry, screen printed tee shirts, bags, wire glass art, hats, scarves, mosaics, frames, magnets, votives, books and more. 1-6pm.
- Countdown to St. Patrick's Day @ McGillin's February 27, 2009 - January 28, 2009 - McGillin's Olde Ale House, 1310 Drury St.
- The celebration begins when McGillin’s welcomes those Bad Boys from Boston, Patsy and John ,with live Irish music. Authentic Beamish Irish Stout, along with Sly Fox's Seamus Irish Red Ale and O’Reilly’s Irish Stout will be pouring (plus, Chocolate Leprechauns). The menu will feature hearty Irish dishes including Bangers & Mashed (Irish sausage and mashed potatoes), Shepherd’s Pie, Irish Lamb Stew and Corned Beef with Cabbage. The event begins at 9:30 p.m. each evening. No advanced reservations are needed. $2.00 cover. The Irish stout and menu items will be available through St. Patrick’s Day.