If you have a beer event or other activity coming up which would be of interest to our audience, please let us know so we can include it on our calendar.
Events for September 2009
- McGillin's Author Series: William Lasher September 01, 2009
- McGillin's Olde Ale House is presenting a series of author readings highlighting books that feature McGillin's - from suspense novels to beer guides and from comic books to business how-tos. Tonight, New York Times bestselling author William Lashner, will read from Blood & Bone, a book whose characters enjoy a brew at McGillin's, starting at 6 p.m. Pints of McGillin's 1860 IPA reduced to $2.
- Bring on the Belgians @ Tria September 03, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- 12 Percent Imports founder Brian Ewing is on a mission to discover great Belgian brews that quench our beer geek desires. Thanks to the innovative Brooklyn-based beer company, the selection of boutique Belgians available in the United States keeps growing. Join Brian for a taste of his latest finds, from racy Saisons and refreshing Blonds to complex spiced and dark ales, many making their debut on this side of the Atlantic. Important ales—and delicious too. 6:30-8pm $45
- Friday Night Sampling: Coronado September 04, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- We'll be sampling Mermaids Red Ale, Orange Avenue Wit, Golden Ale and Islander IPA from Coronado Brewing near San Diego. 5-7pm. Mark will be the one sneaking out for the holiday weekend.
- Mystery Beer Weekend @ Memphis Taproom September 04, 2009 - September 06, 2009 - Memphis Taproom, 2331 E. Cumberland St., Philadelphia
- 33 beers in 3 days! It's up to you to figure out what they are. Starting at Noon on September 4th, Memphis Taproom will tap 3 beers each of 11 different styles. It’s up to you and everyone else to taste them all and decide what you’re drinking. Style categories will be announced in advance . All weekend long Memphis will offer mixed flights of 3 beers for $10. Sure, there will be clues...every good mystery has clues. They are developing the devious beer ballots now; they will eventually be available for download on the website. Ballots must be turned in by 4pm on Sunday, September 6th. The winning ballot (the one with the most correct answers filled in) will win a beer-filled prize package and bar-wide fame.
- McGillin's Author Series: Dr. Lewis Losoncy September 08, 2009 - McGillin's Olde Ale House, 1310 Drury St.
- McGillin's Olde Ale House is presenting a series of author readings highlighting books that feature McGillin's - from suspense novels to beer guides and from comic books to business how-tos. Tonight, starting at 6pm, experience an inspiring evening of motivation with Dr. Lewis Losoncy, one of the world's leading experts on encouraging yourself and others. His newest book, Early Poppers: Secrets of Self-Starters, provides motivational wisdom to lift your spirits and finds humor for dealing with challenges, stress and anxiety. In his book, Dr. Lew cites long-time McGillin's employee, John Doyle, as an example of a superstar of customer service. Pints of McGillin's 1860 IPA reduced to $2.
- Sea & Sip: Victory @ Nectar September 09, 2009 - Nectar, 1019 Lancaster Ave., Berwyn
- Chef Patrick Feury will be pairing a fish menu with Victory Beer. Nectar is proud to have Brewmaster Bill Covaleski of Victory on hand and will run the menu and Victory all month. 5pm More information: 610.725.9000
Menu options: “Grilled Cheese” House Smoked King Salmon, Penn Noble Aged Cheddar on Brioche, and Tomato Soup with Avocado, served with draft Braumeister Pils
Sea Salt Crusted Lobster, Sushi Roll, Toasted Corn and Chile Sauce, served with Victory Festbier
Sea Urchin, Toasted Nori Risotto, Bonito, Yuzu Emulsion, served with Prima Pils
“Japanese Kobe” Capriccio, Peeky Toe Crab Rillettes, Organic Asian Greens Chile Lime Vinaigrette, served with Victory Lager
Grilled, Herb and Smoked White Shrimp Sausage, Heirloom Tomatoes, Fresh Soft mozzarella, Tomato Water, served with Victory Lager
Roasted Skate, Chinese Pork Belly, Sea Salt Baked Fingerling Potatoes served Victory Moonglow .
- Meet the Brewers: Sly Fox @ General Lafayette September 09, 2009 - General Lafayette Brewery & Inn, 646 Germantown Pike, Lafayette Hill, PA
- Sly Fox is the current guest "brewery in residence" at GLI and firkins of Sly Fox British Pale Ale and GLI Griffin's Mild (and/or Union Jack ESB, still TBD), plus two additional SF beers on tap will be featured as the brewers gather. Brian O'Reilly and TIm Ohst of SF & LBI's Chris Leonard and Russ Czajka will be hoist a few pints and talk some beer. No cover, pay as you go. Starts at 7pm
- Pub & Kitchen First Birthday Party September 09, 2009 - Pub & Kitchen, 1946 Lombard St., Philadelphia
- Pub & Kitchen ) will celebrate its first birthday with $2 drafts, $3 glasses of “End of Summer” sangria and delicious Cape May Salt oysters for $1 each. Also, Executive Chef Jonathan McDonald has teamed up with Yards Brewing Company to brew a special “One Year Anniversary Pub & Kitchen Ale” which will be tapped promptly at 9 p.m. to kick off the festivities. Starts at 9pm. At 11 p.m. Betty's Speakeasy cupcakes and champagne will be served to all. More info: 215.545.0250
- An Accoustic Evening @ Yards: Jim Boggia & Zach Djanikian September 11, 2009 - Yards Brewing Co., 901 N. Delaware Avenue, Philadelphia
- The first in an ongoing concert series to showcase promising singer songwriters which will be held at Yards Brewing Company. Philadelphia Sessions, a non-profit organization benefiting Philadelphia musicians, music education and music appreciation, is Yards' partner in the venture. Tonight will feature performances by two premiere local singer songwriters, Jim Boggia and Zach Djanikian. Ticket prices are $25 and may be purchased online.There will be no tickets sold at the door as the event is expected to sell out. Admission includes free beverage samplings featuring different types of Yards beer.
- Ortlieb's Brewers by Birth Since 1869 September 12, 2009 - Philadelphia Brewing Co., 2439 Amber St., Kensington
- Beer historian Rich Wagner outlines the history of Northern Liberty's Ortlieb's Brewing Company from its founder, Trupert Ortlieb, Civil War Veteran. all the way to the plant's closing in 1981. Enjoy a tour and tasting before/after the presentation. Call 215.427.2739 for more details.
- HopFest @ Drafting Room Spring House September 12, 2009 - Drafting Room Spring House, 900 N. Bethlehem Pike
- An all day affair featuring a collection of some of the finest hop induced ales:
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Drafting Room 15th Anniversary Ale
Green Flash Imperial IPA
Southern Tier Hoppe
Southern Tier Gemini
Yards Cape of Good Hope
Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel
Otter Creek Imperial IPA
Iron Hill (North Wales) Something Hoppy
Bear Republic Racer X
Arcadia Hop Rocket
Rogue xs I2PA
Thirty Dog Hoppus Maximus
Great Lakes Burning River
Bavarian Barbarian Weldsplatter
Stoudts Double IPA
Tröegs Nugget Nectar “Firkin”
Food Specials, Live Music, Outdoor Seating. Tap Time: Noon. Pay as you go.
- Jenkintown Jazz & Brewfest September 13, 2009 - West Avenue Grille, Jenkintown, PA
- The 10th Annual Jenkintown Jazz and Brewfest has added a special tasting event: Breakfast and Brew, hosted by award-winning author Lew Bryson. (2 seatings: 11:00 AM or 12:00 PM at). Tickets for Breakfast and Brew are $50 and include admittance to the regular BrewFest. BrewFest-only admission is $25. 215-517-5507
- 12% Imports Beer Dinner @ Tap & Table September 15, 2009 - ap & Table, 4226 Chestnut Street ,Emmaus, PA
- Brian Ewing from 12% Imports will host a five course meal paired and infused with five different beers. Brian is importing some incredible beers from small artisanal breweries in Belgium. This is certainly going to be an exciting showcase of some of Belgium's finest brewing talents! $55, 7-9pm. 610.965.1009
- Voodoo Brewing @ The P.O.P.E. September 15, 2009 - P.O.P.E, 1501 Passynunk Ave., Philadelphia
- Voodoo Brewing Co Draft & Firkin Night and the Voodoo offerings will be flowing all night. On tap: Gran Met, Pilzilla, White Magik Of, The Sun, Got Gas? nitro IPA, and a firkin of Wynona's Big Brown Ale. 7-9pm. 215.755.5125
- Summer Send-Off with Victory Brewing September 16, 2009 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- A limited seating event featuring Victory's Kolsch Ale,
Festbier, Baltic Thunder and Hop Devil cask. Beers paired with opulent culinary creations including: beer cheese & potato soup, maple brown sugar & beer-braised baby back ribs, shellfish & Hop Devil Stew chocolate porter crème brulee
6:30pm Make your reservation now! Price TBA. For more information: 215.536.7242
- Friday Night Sampling: Southern Tier September 18, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- We will be pouring some fine selections from our friends up in the Finger Lakes area from 5-7pm: IPA, Harvest Ale and Phinn & Matt's Ale. The only joke we can think of to put in here about Mark and fingers is probably inappropriate.
- Sly Fox & Ommegang @ Blue Ox Bistro September 18, 2009 - Blue Ox Bistro Bar & Grille, 7880 Oxford Ave., Fox Chase
- Suzanne Woods from Sly Fox and Megan Maguire from Ommegang will be on hand for the two-brewery event. On tap: Sly Fox Oktoberfest, Sly Fox Abbey Extra, Ommegang Abbey and Ommegang Witte. A fixed price food pairing menu will e offered with these four great beers and Oktoberfest bratwurst from Rieker's German Deli. 215.728.9440
- Lagunitas SPCA Benefit Night September 19, 2009 - Ortino's Northside, Rt. 29, Zieglersville
- Ortinos Northside and Lagunitas Brewing come together to support the local SPCA. Join them on the Patio to sample a great selection of Lagunitas Beers on tap, live music and the last BBQ buffet of the season. Event starts at 4pm, live music by the Wright Brothers starts at 7pm. 610.287.7272 for more information.
- McKenzi-fest September 19, 2009 - October 04, 2009 - McKenzie Brew House Chadds Ford, 451 Wilmington-West Chester Pike, Glen Mills & McKenzie Brew House Malvern. 240 Lancaster Ave, Malvern
- In honor of Germany's Oktoberfest, McKenzie Brew House is hosting its first McKenzie-fest at its restaurant locations in Malvern, Pa. and Chadds Ford, Pa from today through October 4. During McKenzie-fest, guests will enjoy special festival beers, traditional music, a menu of authentic German fare, and of course, bar servers dressed in dirndls and leiderhosen. McKenzie's Head Brewer Ryan Michaels is introducing two seasonal brews for the special occasion: Oktoberfest and Pumpkinfest.On Friday and Saturday evenings, the seasonal brews will be served up by bar servers dressed in dirndls and leiderhosen and will be available throughout October. More information at the link.
- Philly Oktoberfest 2009 September 19, 2009 - 23rd Street Armory (between Market & Chesnut)
- Features traditional German Spaten & Franziskaner, plus 25 more Oktoberfest beers & Pumpkin Ales. German Beirgarten with food and liters. Oom-pah Music. Two sessions: 1-4pm, 6-9pm. VIP Entry an hour early. $40 ($50 at the door) VIP : $75 (includes food and souvenir liter). Buy tickets online (use green link above, choose your session).
- Oktoberfest at Elmwood Park Zoo September 19, 2009 - Elmwood Park Zoo,1661 Harding Boulevard, Norristown
- Join us for a wonderful evening of food and beer. Chat with local brewers, stroll the grounds, chow down on German food, and attend our special breakout beer tasting sessions. Plus, the proceeds benefit the Zoo! 5:30-9:30. Ticket details when available.
- 12th Annual Capitol City Invitational Beer Festival September 19, 2009 - Appalachian Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA
- Three sessions: noon to 3pm, 4pm to 7pm, and 8pm to 11pm. Tickets are $30 in advance and $35 at the door and include samples from over 20 participating craft brewers, food buffet, commemorative sampling glass & live entertainment.
Tickets now on sale at all ABC locations and online.
- Boyertown Oktoberfest September 19, 2009 - Inner Core Parking Lot off Reading Ave., Boyertown, PA
- Sly Fox will provide the beer and local wineries the wine in the beer and wine tent at this big block party. The beer & wine tent will be open Noon to 9pm. There will be a ceremonial tapping of First Keg by the Mayor & Council President. Come and enjoy the fun: food, music, dancers, arts & crafts. More info: 610.369.3054
- Farmhouse Ale Dinner @ South Phila Tap Room September 20, 2009 - South Philadelphia Tap Room, 1509 Mifflin St.
- Celebrating the season’s bounty with a gourmet buffet presented by Chef Scott Schroeder and a mind-blowing lineup of guest chefs from Philly’s (and NYC’s) finest restaurants. The bar will feature a staggering line-up
of French, Belgian and American Farmhouse Ales in bottle and on tap.
Guest Chefs: Sheri Wade, Southwark; Gene Giuffi, Cochon; Nick Macri, Beneluxx Breads & Pastries by Patrick O'Malley, Balthazar, NYC.
Draft: Ommegang Hennepin, Harpoon Saison, Sly Fox Saison Vos & Grisette, St. Feuillien Saison, Lost Abbey Red Barn, St. Somewhere Saison du Chene, The Livery Maillot Jaune, Saison d'Erpe-Mere
Bottled: Allagash Fluxus, Etienne Dupont Sparkling Cider, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere & Bam Noir, Southampton Saison, Fantome Saison, Thiellier La Bavaisienne, Thiriez Blonde, Saison Dupont, Pretty Things Jack D'Or.
Purchase tickets online or call 215.271.7787.
- Radnor Fall Festival & Oktoberfest @ Teresa's September 20, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Just like before at Jazz Fest Earlier this year, there will be drinking in the streets of Wayne!!! Along with various forms of shopping, children's entertainment and A big screen TV so you don't miss the Eagles play @1PM while TND pours more draft beer outside. Here is another opportunity to loosen Wayne up a little. Pay as you go.
- Stone Brewing @ Craft Ale House September 23, 2009 - Craft Ale House, 708 West Ridge Pike, Limerick
- Craft Ale House will be tapping kegs of Stone 13th Anniversary Ale, Stone Cali-Belgique IPA, Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale and maybe even more. Three of their rarest beers on draft and bottles of Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale will be pouring while Stone's own Lee Marren makes the rounds and answers any questions you may have on these fantastic beers. 6-9pm. 484.932.8180
- Sierra Nevada Dinner @ Buck Hotel September 23, 2009 - Buck Hotel, 1200 Buck Road, Feasterville, PA
- In conjunction with Philly Beer Scene magazine and with Sierra Nevada's Patrick Mullin on hand, the event will feature Chef’s Choice Hors’ devours paired withSierra Nevada Belgian Trippel, California Artisan Flatbread Pizza
(Artichokes, Brie Cheese and Roasted Red Peppers) paired with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Shrimp and Crab Salad (Avocado, Pistachios, Mango, Lemon Vinaigrette) paired with Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen, Bacon wrapped Achiote marinated Filet Mignon, Smoked Tomato and Blue Cheese Risotto Croquette with Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale & Mexican Chocolate Brownie with Cinnamon Chipotle Gelato served with Sierra Nevada Porter. 7pm $45 (includes tax & tip).
- Great American Beer Festival September 24, 2009 - September 26, 2009 - Colorado Convention Center, Denver, CO
- America's most important beer festival. Details to follow.
- Three Weyerbacher Anniversary Ales @ Drafting Room Exton September 24, 2009 - Drafting Room Exton, 635 N. Pottstown Pike, Exton
- For the first time ever: Three Weyerbacher Anniversary Ales on Draft: Weyerbacher Twelve –Made from 50% Rye Malt and 50% Barley Malt, this strong ale is extremely viscous--the rye adds a tantalizing note of flavor on the palate with a hint of tartness you’ve come to expect from Rye; Weyerbacher Thirteen – Belgian inspired Imperial Stout made with 5 malts and a touch of oats--smooth drinking, with big chocolate and roasted notes balanced with Belgian flavors from the Abbey yeast strain; Weyerbacher Fourteen – An unfiltered brew made with over 50% wheat. Fourteen has a distinctly spicy character--expect to find notes of tary wheat and honey with crisp bitterness and carbonation. Pay as you go.
- Rare Cask Night @ Teresa's featuring Beer Yard Hops! September 25, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124-26 N. Wayne Ave. Waynr
- Tonight,two rare casks: Duck-Rabbit sour, funked up, porter with cherries--one of only two casks made; Iron Hill West Chester cask Rye Pale Ale wet hopped with fresh hops grown on the walls of the Beer Yard--a full eight ounces of hops were used in dry hopping the firkin. Pay as you go. 610.283.9909 for more information.
- Friday Night Sampling: Terrapin September 25, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- 5-7pm, as usual. Rye Pale Ale. India Style Brown Ale. SunRay Wheat. You've heard about Terrapin beers for a long time and now they're here, straight from the award-winning Atlanta brewery. It's like when you heard all those stories about Mark and then you finally met him...only better.
- Oktoberfest @ Ortino's Northside September 26, 2009 - Ortino's Northside, Rt. 29, Zieglersville
- Ortino's Northside Annual Oktoberfest on the Patio. Live music, Oktoberfest Buffet, Give-Aways and Classic Okroberfest Beers on Draft. But of course.
- Blue Ox Bistro Third Anniversary Party September 26, 2009 - Blue Ox Bistro Bar & Grille, 7880 Oxford Ave., Fox Chase
- 1-11pm. Blue Ox Bistro will be featuring three different Oktoberfest beers for $3.00 pints or $6:00 traditional liter mug all day long: Spaten, Hofbrau and Stoudt's. They also well be servicing Rieker's German deli Oktoberfest bratwurst with other great German food.
- Brauhaus Schmitz Oktoberfest September 26, 2009 - Brauhaus Schmitz, 718 South St,, Philadelphia
- Brauhaus Schmitz 1st Annual Oktoberfest Celebration is an Indoor/Outdoor Oktoberfest party with a pig roast, live music, face painting, give-aways, T-shirts, and of course plenty of Great German Beer! Noon - 7pm. More information (they're celebrating all the previous week): 267.909.8814
- "Lunch with Lew" @ Isaac Newton's September 26, 2009 - Isaac Newton's, 18 S. State St., Newtown, PA
- The first Installment of the "Lunch with Lew" Series – Join noted beer and brewery author/columnist Lew Bryson for a lunch seminar on India Pale Ales. Lew will be presenting and discussing six of his current favorite IPAs. Complementing the beers will be a spicy jerk chicken sandwich served with and arugula salad topped with red onions, oven roasted tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, caramelized walnuts and dried fruits dressed with fresh cracked pepper oil. Reservations required. $30. Noon to 2pm. 215.860.5100