Events for November 2009
- Home Brew Event @ Mémé Redux November 03, 2009 - Meme Restaurant. 2201 Spruce St., Philadelphia
- Meme's Home Brew event in July went so well they're going to do a Fall version. Ten local artisan beer hobbyists will be bringing in one of their brews to be judged on tonight At Meme restaurant. The beer will be judged as "Best in Show" and not broken down into categories. As with the last event, you the people will be voting on who's brew is best, although a a panel of thre beer experts is being added as well. The Home Brew event will be $25 to attend and that will include tasting and voting on all the beers, other beers provided by generous sponsors and eating food from Meme's kitchen, but this year they will be hosting a guest. Joey Chmiko the chef of the brand new Resurrection Ale House will be bringing some of his favorite beer friendly snacks for everybody to enjoy. To participate, bring a sample of your beer to Meme Restaurant 2201 Spruce street Wednesday - Saturday between 1:00-4:00. More information: 215.735.4901
- Victory Beer Dinner @ Chifa November 05, 2009 - Chifa, 707 Chestnut St., Philadelphia
- Superstar Chef Jose Garces and local brewing powerhouse Victory Brewing Company will partner for a one-night-only Beer Dinner at Chifa (707 Chestnut Street, 215-925-5555), Chef Garces’ Latin-Asian restaurant. The event will feature five courses of Chifa’s inspired cuisine paired with Victory beers: Hiramasa with aji Amarillo leche de tigre, passion fruit and roasted corn paired with Prima Pils; Octopus Ceviche with purple olive and avocado paired with WildDevil; Grilled Thai Sausage with tamarind chile sauce and jasmine rice paired with Golden Monkey; Smoked Rib Eye with revuelto de chorizo and huacatay chimichiri paired with Yakima Twilight; Coconut Tapioca with semisweet chocolate cremeux and quinoa chicaronnes paired with Baltic Thunder. Victory Brewmaster and Owner Bill Covaleski will be on hand to discuss the beers and offer helpful hints for those who are new to pairing beer and food. 7pm. $55, excluding tax and gratuity. Space is limited and reservations are required. For more information, use webcsite link above or call 215.925.5555.
- Beer vs. Wine Dinner @ Iron Hill West Chester November 06, 2009 - Iron Hill Brewery # Restaurant, 3 W. Gay St., West Chester
- Head brewer Larry Horwitz and executive chef Dan Bethard of Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant willa dinner which will compare beer and wine as food pairing partners. Wine educator Michael Walsh, of Majestic Wine and Spirits, will also be on hand to answer questions and discuss pairing tips and techniques.
Five courses: Pumpkin Gratin with applewood smoked bacon, exotic mushrooms, pearl onions and herb croustade, paired with Renwood 2006 Viognier and Ichabod Imperial Pumpkin Ale; Crispy Seared Diver Sea Scallop with autumn spiced acorn squash and garam masala sauce, paired with Hahn Estate 2007 Chardonnay and Hopzilla IPA; Roasted Quail Breast with braised lentils, fried Serrano ham and butternut squash, paired with Fess Parker 2007 “Station” Pinot Noir and Biere de Mars; Seared Venison Loin stuffed with goat cheese and thyme, with fingerling potato coins and blueberry-balsamic glaze, paired with Steltzner 2007 “Claret” Cabernet Sauvignon and Abbey Dubbel; and Blue Cheese Cheesecake with port wine caramel, paired with Fonseca Bin 27 NV Porto and Old Ale and Cherry Dubbel.
This special five-course meal is $60 per person, excluding tax and gratuity, and is limited to 40 participants. 7:30pm Reservations are required. 610.738.9600
- Allentown Brew Works Craft Beer Festival November 07, 2009 - Allantown Brew Works, 812 W. Hamilton St., Allentown, PA
- Confirmed Breweries: Appalachian Brewing Company, Boston Beer Company/Samuel Adams, Boston, Green Mountain Beverage/Woodchuck Cider, Magic Hat Brewing Company, Sly Fox Brewing, Stoudt’s Brewing Company, Tröegs Brewing Company. Also Featuring: Gourmet Buffet including Cheeses, Breads, Hors d’oeuvre, Desserts, Carving and Wings Stations, Clothing, Merchandise and Cigars. Two sessions: Noon-3:pm; 4- 7pm. $25 in advance or $35 at-the-door. More info: 610-433-7777
- Artisan Homebrewing Grand Opening Party November 07, 2009 - Artisan Homebrew, 128 East Lincoln Highway, Downingtown
- Today is Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day and the new Artisan Homebrew in Downingtown has decided to make the day into a big party, a Grand Opening party. Live folk/bluegrass music by Mason Porter, free food, local artisan goat cheeses from Amazing Acres, local craft beer and of course, homebrew. here will be an all-grain brew session,starting around 10:30am, and an extract brew session, starting around 1pm. Event is free but RSVPs are encouraged, sent to email@example.com or called in at 610. 873.4677.
- Royal Tavern Anniversary Kickoff Dinner (Vegan) November 11, 2009 - Royal Tavern, 937 E. Passyunk Ave., Philadelphia
- The Royal Tavern’s week long 7th anniversary celebration kicks off with a night for vegans and vegetarians. For one night only ,the blackboard specials will consist entirely of vegetarian and vegan items. There will be a specialty cocktail menu crafted from cruelty free ingredients. Festivities start at 5pm and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to PAWS.
- HIgh St. Caffe Yards Beer Dinner November 11, 2009 - High Street Caffe, 3ss S. High St., West Chester
- Brewer’s Plate (Smoked Alligator Sausage & Elk and Pear Sausage with Cheddar & Gruyere Cheeses), paired with
Yard’s Brawler; Harvest Soup with Pumpkin Crème Fraiche, paired with Poor Richard’s Tavern Spruce Ale;
Crawfish Étouffée, paired with Yard’s Philadelphia Pale Ale; Porter Braised Pork Tenderloin with a Sweet Potato & Apple Hash, paired with George Washington’s Tavern Porter; Homemade Pumpkin Pie with Cinnamon Whipped Cream, paired with Thomas Jefferson’s Tavern Ale. $45 per person (does not include tax and gratuity). 7-10:30pm More information & reservations: 610.696.7435
- Sierra Nevada Beer Dinner @ Drafting Room Exton November 11, 2009 - Drafting Room Exton, 635 N. Pottstown Pike, Exton
- Four course dinner paired with five great Sierra Nevada beers: Chico Estate Harvest Ale, Brown Saison, Beer Camp #12 (TDR owner Howard Weintraub helped make this beer!), Belgian Triple & Big Foot 2008. All this, plus super sales guy and from TDR GM, Patrick Mullin. 6pm. $69 plus tax and gratuity. Reservations: 610-363-0521
- Friday the Firkinteen @ Grey Lodge Pub November 13, 2009 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Phila.
- You know the drill by now. Twenty or more firkins, seven tapped on the bar at a time. Starts at Noon, goes until the last firkin in tapped and emptied, pay as you go. All the details about the beers are on the regularly updated page you can access using the link above. One of the nation's unique beer events and the only one controlled entirely by the calendar...and the strange mind of the clever Mr. Scoats.
- Johnny Brenda's Wet Hop Rodeo November 14, 2009 - Johnny Brenda's, 1201 N. Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
- A Round-up of Local and National Wet Hopped Beers All Day Long! 11am-2am Come out and enjoy the round-up of fresh, wet- hopped beers from this year's hop harvest. These wet-hopped beers make a limited appearance every fall from hops picked fresh only hours before brewing. Eight wet-hopped beers on tap, including, for the first time at Johnny Brenda's, craft beers that have not been brewed locally. The line-up includes Victory Harvest Pils, Victory Harvest Ale, Weyerbacher Harvest Ale, Philadelphia Brewing Company Harvest from the Hood, Manayunk Brewing Hop Harvest, Port Brewing High Tide, Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale, Rogue Wet Hop Ale AND a firkin of wet hopped ale from Iron Hill!
- Naked Pint Women of Philly Beer Dinner @ Fork November 16, 2009 - Fork, 306 Market St., Philadelphia
- Christina Perozzi and Hallie Beaune, authors of The Naked Pint, will the featured guests at a beer dinner featuring brews from some of the notable women in the brewing industry in Philadelphia, who will also be attending the event: Suzy Woods from sly Fox, Megan Maguire from Ommegang, Tracy Mulligan & Whitney Thompson from Victory, Sebbie Buhler from Rogue and possibly Jodi Stoudt from Stoudt's and Wendy Dormant from Dogfish.
The Menu: spicy tuna confit with capers on focaccia toasts & grilled flatbread with artichokes and saffron aioli, with Victory Prima Pils and Stoudt's American Pale Ale; Chef’s Selection of tapas, with Sly Fox Saison Vos; seared sea scallops, with Ommegang Rare Vos; lightly-smoked duck breast. with Dogfish Head Raison d’Etre & chocolate caramel tart w/lemon-thyme chantilly cream, with Rogue Chocolate Stout. 6:30pm $55 For reservations: 215.625.9425
- Royal Tavern 7th Anniversary Party November 17, 2009 - Royal Tavern, 937 E. Passyunk Ave., Philadelphia
- The party runs from 11:30am – 2:00am and features DJs, Drink Specials, Party Favors and. the Tavern's most popular Menu Items and Specials of all time! Over the past seven years, in addition to its award winning menu items, Royal Tavern has offered 4,712 (and counting!) blackboard specials. What former Specials or Menu Items do you still crave the most? Smoked Duck Club? Poutine? Billy Ray’s Fried Chicken? To vote on which Royal Tavern Specials or Menu Items you would like to see make a triumphant return, stop by Royal Tavern and fill out a ballot between now and Sunday November 8. Top vote getters will be revealed and served daily starting Wednesday November 11th, culminating with the unveiling of the highest vote getter on Tuesday November 17. More information: 215.238.9964
- Autumn Brewmaster's Dinner @ Iron Hill Media November 17, 2009 - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant, 30 E. State St., Media
- Head brewer Bob Barrar will host a special Brewmaster’s Dinner celebrating Iron Hill's acclaimed autumn beers with seasonal dishes by executive chef Mike Petrilla. Menu offerings will include: Spiced Butternut Squash-Pumpkin Bisque with granny smith apple crème fraiche, paired with Saison; Petite Duck Confit Salad with endive, frisee, ancho-spiced walnuts, shaved pear, port-soaked cherries and honey-cocoa vinaigrette, paired with ‘Ironator’ Doppelbock; Braised, Bone-In Lamb Shank with robiola-cauliflower gratin, brown butter-pine nut crumb topping and dried fig-lamb jus, paired with Barleywine, and Chocolate-Goat Cheese Spring Roll with porter-chocolate ganache, raspberry compote and almond brittle, paired with Raspberry Torte, a 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winning porter aged in a framboise barrel to impart a subtle raspberry character. $65, only 40 spaces available. 610.627.9000
- Friday Night Sampling: Stoudt Brewing November 20, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- We will be featuring the 2009 Winter Ale (a beer which is brewed in a different style each year) along with some other favorites from the region's oldest microbrewery. How can you pass that up? 5-7pm.
- Dale Van Wieren 10K Event November 21, 2009 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- No, it's not a distance running event. Seriously, have you ever seen Dale Van Wieren? Local beer writer and historian Dale Van Wieren will log and taste his 10,000th beer at 5pm. It's a beer brewed specially for this momentous occasion with Dale's help, an amber Belgian style at about 7.5%. "Think of a Pils/Dubbel/Bier de Garde hybrid," says Brian O'Reilly. Seriously, have you ever seen Dale Van Wieren? 5-9pm
- Brewsday Tuesday Launch @ Cantina Dos Segundos November 24, 2009 - Catina Dos Segundos, 931 N 2nd St., Philadelphia
- Cantina Dos Segundos launches a new bi-weekly beer tonight. Every other Tuesday, Dos Segundos will be hosting local and national beers, brewers, tastings and events. Brewsday Tuesday" kicks off with, “Come and Get Some Shugga,” a night of delicious ales from Lagunitas Brewing Co. Starting at 6pm, Dos Segundos will be pairing New Dogtown Pale Ale, IPA, and the heavy-hitting Brown Shugga' Sweet Release with tasty Mexican snacks. 215.629.0500
- Friday Night Sampling: New Holland November 27, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- Post-Thanksgiving blues got you down? Holiday shopping giving you the shakes? Let Dr. Joel prescribe some relief, 5-7pm., as New Holland's ace sales rep will be here to provide succor for the weary (and by that we mean "beer"). Should any operations be called for, Mark will be assisting.
- Annual Philadelphia Brewing Co. Holiday Open House November 28, 2009 - Philadelphia Brewing Co., 2439 Amber St., Kensington
- Santa will be on hand along with Delco Nightingale playing classic Christmas favorites and DJ DNA. PBC will also be debuting its new Winter Ale!. In the spirit of the season, theya re asking attendees to bring along donations for Flat Iron Wildcats (www.flatironwildcats.com) - $$, cat food, fleece blankets, etc. So, pack up the family and friends and come celebrate the season with PBC gang! 2-5pm