If you have a beer event or other activity coming up which would be of interest to our audience, please let us know so we can include it on our calendar.
Events for December 2009
- Hoppy Holidays @ Tria December 02, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Explore a winter wonderland of holiday brews with Philly beer writer Don Russell, aka Joe Sixpack, author of the book Christmas Beer. Discover the history of winter brews and taste Belgian Bière de Noël, English Winter Warmers and American Christmas Ales, Doppelbocks and Santa spoofs. Whatever December holiday you celebrate, Joe Sixpack will kick off the season with a belly full of cheer and winter beer. 6:30-8:00pm. $45
- Meet the Brewer Series: Victory @ Spinnerstown December 02, 2009 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- A Beer Dinner with Bill Covaleski of Victory Brewing Company
featuring Storm King, Harvest Ale, Helios, ESB and Wild Devil
Limited Seating. $55 per person
- Mad Elf...Happy You Night @ Grey Lodge December 04, 2009 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Phila.
- Get a taste of the beer ranked No. 1 in Joe Sixpack's book, "Christmas Beer. " Quoth he: " To me, [Troegs The Mad Elf] shows off everything a great Christmas beer should have: a spicy flavor, a strong kick of alcohol and a cheerful holiday logo." Sixpack will be be joining the folks from Troeg's Brewing for a sampling of this year's version on draft . No reservations needed. Pay as you go. 6-9pm
- Friday Night Sampling: Southampton December 04, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- We'll be pouring the new 12oz bottles brewed at Latrobe (this is version 4.0 for the Southampton 12oz-ers) : Alt, Double White, IPA and Imperial Porter. Phil Markowski is very happy with these beers and we're reasonably happy with Mark so come in and give both a try. 5-7pm
- 2nd Annual Half Way to Philly Beer Week 2010 @ Bridgid's December 04, 2009 - December 13, 2009 - Bridgid's, 24th & Aspen (Fairmount), Phila.
- "Celebrating America's Best Beer Drinking City doesn't have to wait til June!!!" A ten-day pre-party party. Starts today at 6:00pm and ends Sunday, December 13 at 12:00pm. Day-by-day details at the link.
- TJ's 6th Anniversary Party December 05, 2009 - TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery, 35 Paoli Plaza, Paoli
- Tap Time 12:00PM (Noon):
Heavy Seas Loose Cannon (Firkin)
Lost Abbey 10 Commandments
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
Port Brewing Hop 15
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Russian River Blind Pig
Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
Ballast Point Barrel Aged Sea Monster
BrewDog Bashah (Stone Collaboration)
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Dogfish Head 120 Minute
Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck
Great Divide 15th Anniversary
Meantime London Stout
Moylan's Double Kiltlifter
Terrapin Gamma Ray
Tap Time 5:00PM:
Ballast Point Sculpin
Cigar City Jai Alai IPA
Limb & Life
Life & Limb
Russian River Temptation
The Bruery Two Turtle Doves (Firkin)
Pay as you go.
- Cliveden Winter Beer Festival December 05, 2009 - Clivenden of the National Trust, 6401 Germantown Ave., Phila
- This event will showcase a special selection of seasonal and limited-edition holiday craft beers from the nation’s top craft breweries. Taking advantage of the ambiance and historic significance of the Cliveden setting, attendees will be able to sample the special beers as well as learn about historic brewing techniques and take tours of Cliveden—one of America’s most historic colonial homes. 20-plus brewers, 30-plus beers. 2-5pm (VIP session 1-2). Purchase tickets at link above.
- Ancient Beers of Dogfish @ Teresa's December 09, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- A private tutored luncheon with t Dr. Patrick McGovern, who will discuss the histories and resurrections of these truly unique ales. All five Ancient Ales will be served: Midas Touch, Sah’Tea, Pangaea, Chateau Jiahu and Theobroma. Other Dogfish Beers will be poured as well. 1pm. $45
- Sweet & Sour Day @ Capone's December 10, 2009 - Capone's, 224 W. Germantown Pike, Norristown
- Featuring six "sweet" beers and twelve "sour" beers. In addition there will be up to ten other beers available, consisting mostly of IPAs, stouts, porters, etc.
Sweet draft: Southern Tier Cuvee Series #2, Southern Tier Mokah, Founders Cerise, DFH Midas Touch, Fruli Strawberry & 2008 Mad Elf
Sour draft: Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi, 2007 Allagash Victor, 2007 Allagash Interlude, 2008 DFH Red and White, 2008 Cantillon Fou Foune, 2006 Cantillon St. Lamvinus!
Ithaca Brute, Russian River Temptation, Russian River Consecration, Ommegang Rouge, Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge & Rodenbach Grand Cru
Also being poured will be Chocolate Covered Strawberry which is a blend of Fuller's London Porter on nitro and Fruli Strawberry and Strawberry Wheat which is a blend of Southampton Double White and Fruli Strawberry
Tap time 11:30am. Pay as you go.
- DFH 74 Minute IPA Firkin @ Resurrection Ale House December 10, 2009 - Resurrrection Ale House, 2425 Grays Ferry Ave., Phila.
- A special firkin of Dogfish Head's 75 Minute IPA will be tapped at 5pm. While they (and the beer) last, They'll be filling Dogfish Head pint glasses that you can keep for just $5. Also special on draft will be the Dogfish Head Chicory Stout. Come out and get your bar stool early...these beers won't last long! More info: 215-735-2202
- XFest @ Penn Museum December 11, 2009 - University of Pennsylvania Museum, 3260 South St., PhilA
- A civilized sampling of the world's best Winter Warmers & Christmas beers. 6-9pm $45 ($55 at door). Details on website.
- Friday Night Sampling: Yards December 11, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- Have we got an early Christmas present for you! Yards co-founder Tom Kehoe, the last man standing from Philadelphia's craft brew revolution of the mid-1990s, will be gracing us with his presence and pouring all of your favorite beers. Meet a pioneer and enjoy an ESA, Brawler, Philly Pale Ale or one of the Ales of the Revolution. 5-7pm
- Voodoo Cowbell @ The Khyber December 11, 2009 - The Khyber, 56 S. 2nd St., Phila.
- Be one of the first to try Voodoo Brewery's new Cowbell, a 9% Imperial Oatmeal Stout--and as a bonus this beer will be garnished with a cookie! If great beer & cookies aren't enough to get you out, Brewer Matt Allyn will be in attendance to talk about Cowbell and the rest of his incredible portfolio. This is a man who knows his beer, so don't miss this one. 4-6:30pm.
- Sly Fox Hops Project Day December 11, 2009 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- This will be the sixth celebration of what has become one of the Delaware Valley's signature beer events, but this is the first one bearing that name and featuring single hop Pale Ales (previously this was "IPA Project Day" and the varietal beers were all, you guessed it, IPAs. This will be the last event in this series and it will be replaced with an Anniversary Day in 2010. See details here.
- Cask & You Shall Receive @ Iron Hill Newark December 12, 2009 - Iron Hill Brewery @ Restaurant, Newark, DE
- Beginning at 12 noon, head brewer Justin Sproul of Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant (147 East Main Street, 302-266-9000) will host a special Cask Ale Reserve Event. The event will feature kegs of cask conditioned dark and pale ales from all eight of Iron Hill’s award-winning locations, plus additional beers from some of the region’s top craft breweries. Some of this year’s guest breweries will include: Stewart’s Brewing Company, Yards Brewing Company, Flying Fish Brewing Company, Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Victory Brewing Company, Troegs Brewing Company, Stoudt’s Brewing Company, and Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant. Beers will be sold for $6 for 20 oz., $4.25 for 10 oz., $1 for 4 oz. or $15 for a pitcher or growler, on a pay-as-you-go basis.
The beers: Yards General Washington Tavern Porter, Nodding Head 700 level, Troegs Hop Back Amber, Sly Fox Chester County Bitter, Stewart's Glacier IPA, Flying Fish Imperial Belgian Mild, Stoudts Fat Lady (blend of Fat Dog and Scarlet Lady), Victory Hop Wallop, Iron Hill Newark - English IPA, Iron Hill West Chester Russian Imperial Stout, Iron Hill Lancaster Afternoon Delight Imperial Coffee Porter,
Iron Hill North Wales Anvil Ale & Iron Hill Wilmington Scrooge American IPA.
For more information about Cask and You Shall Receive: 302.266.9000.
- Terrapin Reunion Benefit for Myeloma Research @ Bridgid's December 13, 2009 - Bridgid's, 24th & Aspen (Fairmount), Phila.
- Terrapin Reunion Beer Benefit for Myeloma Research. Beer and Bagels event starting at 11am. $5 Double White Drafts and $2 Bagels with fixins. $1 from each beer sold will be donated to The Institute for Myeloma & Bone Cancer Research.
- Arena Bar & Grill Holiday Beer Dinner December 13, 2009 - Arena Bar & Grill, 380 Coal St.,Wilkes-Barre, PA
- 5 course, 5 super Premium Beers. 1 Great Experience. 2pm
- St. Martin's Abbey Beers Launch @ Teresa's December 14, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Hosted by Christine Celis (yes, Pierre's daughter, who is now part of C2 Imports), this will offer an a la carte menu with food pairings to compliment St. Martin Blonde, St. Martin Triple,and St. Martin Brune. There will be three featured, three-course menu options specifically paired with each beer. The entire menu will be available to guests. More information: 610.293.9909
- Tom's 16th Annual Holiday Beer Dinner @ Monk's December 15, 2009 - Monk's Cafe, 16 & Spruce Sts., Philadelphia
- You do not want to miss this totally crazy dinner. The best of the Holiday Ales paired with a traditional holiday feast. Tickets go on sale, Monday, November 2nd @ 11:30AM. They will sell out quickly. 7pm $75
- Holiday & Winter Beer Tasting December 16, 2009 - Fingers, Wings & Other Things, 107 W. Ridge Pike, Conshohocken
- Take a break from shopping and visit FWOT for this special craft beer tasting event where there will be least 6 holiday & winter beers on tap and flights available: Lancaster Winter Warmer, Breckenridge Christmas Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale ,Flying Fish Grand Cru Winter Reserve &
Troegs Mad Elf Ale will be featured. 7:30pm. Pay as you go. Additional information: 610.828.6191
- Blues, Brews n' Christmas Brews @ Ron's Original Bar & Grille December 17, 2009 - Ron's Original Bar & Grill, 74 E. Uwchalan Ave., Lionville
- They will be tapping a very rare and limited mystery beer plus others such as Bell's Christmas, Corsendonk Christmas, Heavy Seas Yule Tide, and a few others! Tap time is 6pm.
- Barrel-Aged Barleywine Release Party @ Dock Street December 17, 2009 - Dock Steet Brewery, 701 S. 50th St, Philadelphia
- Dock Street's new Barleywine has been aged in Chadds Ford Pinot Noir barrels for 10 months and is packaged in hand bottled, bottle-conditioned 750ml bottles The official release will be kicked off with a party at the Philadelphia brewpub tonight, starting at 6pm. Appetizer and beer samples, brewers on hand, good times.
- Friday Night Sampling: Flying Fish December 18, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- With its success at the Great American Beer Festival over the past two years, Flying Fish is raising the beer chatter on the other side of the river and we couldn't be happier. Well, except for Mark, who's aready as happy as he's likely to get. 5-7pm. Come and reacquaint yourself with an old favorite (the brewery, not Mark).
- Yoga Holiday Happy Hour December 18, 2009 - Yoga on the Ridge, 511 Conarroe Street (Rear), Roxborough
- Can you say nepotism, boys & girls? No matter, this is a great idea. This is a Joe Sixpack event with Mrs. Sixpack, who is a yoga teacher with her own studio in Roxborough.
They'll combine two relaxing pastimes, yoga and beer, with a unique Yoga Holiday Happy Hour. It's a rocking one-hour Vinyasa yoga class led by Theresa Conroy, followed by an hour-long tutored tasting of Christmas beers led by your favorite beer guru, "Swami" Sixpack. $20. Pre-registration required and class size is limited. Call 215-792-6400. More details at the link.
- Holiday Beer & Cheer at Resurrection Ale House December 19, 2009 - Resurrrection Ale House, 2425 Grays Ferry Ave., Phila.
- All day today, Resurrection Ale House will be celebrating what's great about seasonal beer AND spreading the holiday spirit among those in need. The lineup includes Scaldis Noel, DuPont Avec Les Bons Voeux, Sly Fox Christmas Beer, Ridgeway Reindeer Droppings, Troegs Mad Elf and many more. All day, $1 from every draft beer you drink goes to Share Our Strength, an organization dedicated to making sure that no kid in America grows up hungry. More info: 215.735.2202
- Dos Segundos Punk Rock Brunch December 19, 2009 - Catina Dos Segundos, 931 N 2nd St., Philadelphia
- At noon. Cantina Dos Segundos will be launching its series of monthly Brunch DJ events beginning with "Punk Rock Brunch." DJ Chris Morris of Philadelphia Brewing Co. will be kicking it off with an afternoon of heavy 70’s and 80’s punk rock classics, 60’s garage, and delicious discounted PBC beers to start your Saturday right. That means $2 Kenzinger bottles, $3.50 pints of Philly Brewing Company's seasonal brew Winter Wunder, and let's not forget the $3 Bloody Mary special.
- Firkins for Furry Friends: P.A.W.S. Benefit @ The Khyber December 19, 2009 - The Khyber, 56 S. 2nd St., Phila.
- A special fundraiser for P.A.W.S. (Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society) featuring an array of cask conditioned bartop kegs of quality craft brews. All proceeds go directly to P.A.W.S. to help them in their efforts to save Philadelphia’s homeless, abandoned, and unwanted animals. $20 at the door gets you a bottomless cup of these delicious beers Sly Fox Chester County Bitter, Stoudts Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Yards General Washington's Tavern Porter, & a vintage PBC Shackamaximum Imperial Stout. All beers donated by the breweries, so they've done their part. Now it's up to you. And that bottomless cup may the perfect antidote to the World's Largest Snow Storm Ever predicted for tomorrow.
- Christmas Day December 25, 2009 - Everywhere
- God rest ye merry, gentlemen.
- Boxing Day Beer Festival @ Memphis Taproom December 26, 2009 - Memphis Taproom, 2331 E. Cumberland St., Philadelphia
- Extend the holiday cheer for one extra day! All day topday, starting at 8am (yep, AM) Memphis Taproom will be serving some of the best Holiday & Seasonal Ales from around the world. Expect amazing beers from Lost Abbey, Tröegs, De Dolle, Aventinus, Weissenohe (and many others) and English Cask Ales galore.
In addition to celebrating great beer, they'll be celebrating the true spirit of Boxing Day by collecting canned food and gently used winter coats and warm blankets for donation to two local organizations that distribute to families in need. Earn $1 OFF EACH DRAFT BEER you have by bringing in a coat, a blanket, or 3 cans of food! (The goal is to collect cans of food that is nourishing, not just any old can of water chestnuts from the back of your cupboard, please.)
- Christmas Beer Event @ The Institute RESCHEDULED December 26, 2009 - The Institute, 549 N. 12 St., Philadelphia
- Pushed back a week due to the Storm of the Century which almost ended civilization. More than 20 Christmas beers including Sly Fox Christmas Ale, Troegs The Mad Elf, , Smuttynose Winter Ale, Southern Krampus Imperial Helles Lager, Southampton Christmas Ale, Elysian Bi-Frost Winter Ale, Lakefront Holiday Spice Lager, The Bruery Partidge in a Pear Tree & Anchor Christmas Ale with more to come. Seasonal Menu items and a rare Puerto Rican desert that is produced during Christmas that will be given away to the first 30 people to buy 5 pints or more. Starts 2pm. Pay as you go.
- New Year's Eve / 20th Anniversary Party @ Standard Tap December 31, 2009 - Standard Tap, 901 N. 2nd St., Philadelphia
- Ring in the New Year at Standard Tap and help them celebrate their 10th anniversary! Live music from 9 pm - 2 am, featuring the rocking and rollicking banjo-picking, bluegrass-infused sounds of Philly band Wes Mattheu and the New Way Down. Tröegs Mad Elf and Victory Golden Monkey on special all night long. Pay as you go, no cover. More info: 215. 238.0630?